Compliments of Surelock Home Inspection Co.
The following document is an insert, enclosed within our home inspection reports for each of our new home owner clients. Why not print a copy for your own use to help with the maintenance your own home?
New Home Owners:
Upon taking possessions of your new home, there are a few items which need to be addressed right away for maintenance as well as for personal and family safety.
- Read / review the entire home inspections report. Correct any item listed in both the summary and the report not corrected prior to the official closing.
- Change all the exterior door locks and entrance codes for added security.
- Check all the windows for proper locking. (Only random samplings of windows are inspected).
- Change the burglar / fire alarm code to a code familiar to you.
- Change batteries in all smoke detectors.
- Change the batteries in the radon detectors (if applicable).
- Check for fire extinguishers at the kitchen and laundry rooms. Replace if not properly charged
- Create a fire escape plan and a designated meeting location in event of fire or disasters
- If the furnace filter is noted as dirty replace with a new filter (Write the service date and filter size on the inside of the furnace filter door).
- Check to make sure the rain gutter are clean (95% of the homes inspected contain debris).
- Located the main water shut off (this information is also contained in the home inspection).
Bi-monthly Home Care:
- Check the furnace filter replace if needed
- Check and clean electronic air cleaners
- Clean rain gutters and downspouts. (Make sure the splash blocks are sloped so the rain water will drain away from the home)
- Test smoke alarms
- Examine all faucets for dripping action, repair as needed
- Clean exhaust filter over the kitchen stove